1. Information we collect
To run our service and show you relevant content, we need to know a little about you and your interests. Here we outline what information Poliwatch collects, and how we collect it.
a. What we collect
When you sign up on Poliwatch, an account is created for you. All your activities are then tied to this account.
Through these activities and upon your general use of our website, we may collect and/or receive the following information about you that reveals your specific identity, or is directly tied to your specific identity:
- your name
- your postal address
- your email address, or non-email authentication if you are using a mobile device
- other information you voluntarily submit (for example: photos, biography, interests)
- your unique mobile device ID number if you access our services via a mobile application
- your social media account ID and information shared with us via your social media account
- your specific activities on the poliwatch.info website
- information inferred about the issues you care about based on your activities on the website (e.g. animal rights, climate change)
- information about you available in public records, or other publicly available databases, such as civic data APIs.
- information about you that we get from third party data providers. We obtain this data with assurance from these providers that you have consented to the collecting and sharing of this data. We don’t actively collect sensitive public data such as medical data. In addition, we only collect information that is permissible to collect in each country where we operate.
- We also collect information that does not reveal your specific identity, or does not directly relate to you, such as:
- browser and device information
- information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- demographic information and other non-identifying information provided by you (such as a postal code or general geographic area)
b. How we collect it
- When you register for the poliwatch.info website, you will be asked to create a user profile that includes information such as your name,address, etc. You may choose to upload photos and provide additional information as well.
- When you are signed in to your account, your activities on the poliwatch.info website are tracked and are associated with your account.
- When you download and use our existing or future mobile applications, we’ll collect your unique device ID and all your account and activity information will be tied to that unique device ID. In addition, we may track and collect app usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the app, and this information may be associated with your account.
- We may collect information through your activities offline, for example when you respond to user surveys or provide information if we assist you by telephone.
- We may obtain information about you from public records, publicly available databases, and third-party providers as described above.
- We may obtain certain information through your social media accounts connected to your poliwatch.info account. If you log in to poliwatch.info via Facebook, we ask for your permission to access certain information about your Facebook account, activities and friends. Social media sites make information available to all apps through their APIs, such as friend lists. The information we receive depends on what information you or the social media site decide to give us.
- Browser and device information: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the poliwatch.info website you are using.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a designator that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet service provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you use our website and services, along with the time of your visit and the specific page(s) that you visited.
In some instances, we may combine non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information (for example, we may combine your name with your geographical location or combine your name with information about your activities on our website). In such case the combined information will be treated by us as personally identifying information and protected accordingly.
2. How we may use your information
Here are the ways we might use your information to run our website, provide our services and serve you better content.
- We use your information to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests and to complete and fulfill your transactions with us.
- We need your contact information to send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding our services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- We use your information for general business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new services, enhancing, improving or modifying our website, identifying usage trends,and operating and expanding our business activities.
- We personalize your experience by presenting offers tailored to you based on what we know about you. We may also send you promotional communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- We use your information to allow you to participate in events and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information about you, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- We need information about your social media account and activities to facilitate social sharing functionality, such as sharing content through the poliwatch.info website and other social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- We use information about your computer or device to ensure that our site, apps and APIs function properly and are optimized for your computer or device.
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, we use your device ID to recognize you when you use the application and to store your preferences and settings.
- We use IP Addresses for administration and security purposes, such as calculating usage levels of our sites, apps and API, helping diagnose server problems and detecting fraud and spam behavior. We may use and share aggregated and anonymized information to better understand and serve our users or for optimization of our marketing and ad targeting efforts.
3 Who may receive your information
Here we outline when and how information can be shared – either by you via the website, or by us.
a. Advertisers and ad networks
- Only at your election and if you specifically consent, we may share information about you with our advertisers, including your email address and mailing address. We may also share your telephone number, but only if you separately consent. The advertiser may then use this information to communicate with you and send you promotional materials that may be of interest to you. We do not control the content or frequency of communications that you may receive from our advertisers.
- We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you based on your use of and activities on our website. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags).
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, our ad network partners may use and store your mobile device ID to show ads that they consider relevant to you in various mobile services that you use.
b. Administrative purposes
We may share your information with third parties for the following purposes:
Your poliwatch.info profile is set to private by default. You can edit your profile and the settings to make it public and manage certain emails we send you.
- Companies within the poliwatch.info group of companies: We may share your information with our affiliates, which are entities under common ownership or control of poliwatch.info to provide our services in different countries.
- Our suppliers, subcontractors and business partners (“service providers”): We may share information about you with our services providers who process information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with our service providers that prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or receive with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes.
- Fraud prevention: We may disclose the personal information we collect about our users when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- Law enforcement purposes: If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may have to disclose any information we have about our users. We also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Sale or merger of our company: We have no plans to sell our business. In this unlikely event, we may transfer your personal information to a third party if we or any of our company affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets).
4. Your privacy choices
You can edit or remove the permissions you have granted to poliwatch.info to use information from your social media accounts by using your application privacy settings on your social media account.
a. Social media
If you’ve signed in on poliwatch.info through Facebook connect, you are likely cookied by Facebook. You can modify or change those cookies through the settings on your Facebook account.
b. Email settings
- If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from poliwatch.info or its affiliate companies going forward, you may opt out of receiving these by following the instructions contained in any such email.
- We will comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please also note that if you do opt out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages (such as updates about your account or service changes), and you cannot opt out from receiving these messages.
- If you want, you can ask us for the information we have about your account and even ask us to delete it.
5. Accessing or deleting your information
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, or delete information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may log in to your account, click on “Settings” and update your profile information.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for mandatory record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, but such residual information will no longer be tied to your identity. If you subsequently ask us to delete your information from our website and databases, information related to those other users cannot be removed and will remain in our records.
We take a lot of measures to protect your personal information. If you suspect someone else is using your account, let us know.
6. Data retention & security
7. How to contact us
We’d love to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. If you have any suggestions for us, feel free to let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the following address:
For Members in Trinidad and Tobago:
- Attn: Privacy Officer
- 120 Abercromby Street
- Port of Spain
- Trinidad and Tobago
Please note that email communications are not always secure; so please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.